Monday, November 26, 2012

Thanksgiving

One of the best parts about coming to Korea was getting to meet people from all over the world. Korea as country is pretty homogeneous, but with the ever increasing demand for English Teachers, there is also a huge foreign community settling in the east, even in my city, Daegu. With that comes the joys of sharing one another's cultures (read holidays), some of the popular one's include Halloween, St Patrick's day, there was even a huge Jubilee celebration in our neck of the woods.
But my favourite foreign holiday for me is definitely Thanksgiving Day (although I am sure 4th of July fireworks would steal the show if I was ever in America to celebrate). I just love the holiday, especially as a Christian, because it makes me sit down and acknowledge how much I need to be thankful for, and to who I am thanking. It reminds me how Good God is, how true He is to His promises. My friend over at Transplanted  has a tradition that she has been practicing for over a decade - writing a list of 100 things to be thankful for every year. I love it! It brings meaning to this time of the year, more than just stuffing my face with turkey and I get to do what I do best, making lists. So here is my list of 100 things to be thankful for (and maybe why):

1. for family (big enough yet small enough, they drive me insane at times, but distance has really made the heart grow fonder)
2. korean public transport (super fast, efficient, affordable, safe etc...)
3. my job (easy + lots of vacation+ good pay+ love my clients students)
4. my colleagues (kind, thoughtful but still give me space to go about my daily business)
5. healthy body (that i can feel sick or tired and one day in pyjamas cures everything)
6. 20-20 vision (I'm guessing eye care is pricey and the idea of contacts or Lasek surgery freak me out)
7. travel opportunities (I have traveled to more countries in the last 18 months than the rest of my life before then)
8. friends (too much to say, no words to say it)
9. care packages from home
10. skype dates
11. water
12. smart phones - and their fantastic apps
13. cameras - been fun capturing so many precious moments
14. safety - in Korea it's been so great walking at night carrying valuables without worrying
15. floor heating - for those cold and long winter days
16. korean food like Bibimpap that I have become so fond of
17. being able to eat with chopsticks - not perfectly but I get by
18. fast internet - so fast I can watch youtube clips like TV
19. gas stoves - making me feel like a real chef even when I am just boiling an egg
20. english speaking church in Korea (and its walking distance from my place)
21. my American friends (who have taught me about thanksgiving)
22. Starbucks (for giant mugs) and awesome Chai Latte
23. bananas - the most inexpensive fruits in Korea
24. blogs - great, funny, inspirational, motivational, creative blogs
25. diaries - always reminding where I need to be, who I owe, and what to look forward to
26. facebook - has changed the way I keep in touch
27. being able to ride a bike
28. alarm clocks - don't remember waking up before 9am without one - just doesn't come naturally
29. God's promises - the only one who honours them
30. being in my 20's where anything and everything is possible
31. shopping at markets
32. asian kids - so beautiful and smart, I just wish they knew it
33. birthdays - a guaranteed reason to celebrate
34. escalators
35. good causes to support
36. dreadlocks - all natural, no harmful chemicals, its bliss
37. being able to speak English, learning it is so hard :(
38. touch screens
39. aeroplanes - albeit being afraid of flying
40. surprises
41. budgeting
42. laughter
43. when my students put up their hand and say "Teacher"
44. caring, loving, and patient boyfriend :)
45. getting a lift
46. making holiday plans
47. expecting visitors
48. rewards after hard work
49. forgiveness
50. counting down towards something big
51. Answered prayers
52. public holidays (for sleeping in)
53. good movies incl. chick flicks
54. cereal
55. Bible study groups
56. board games
57. receiving snail mail
58. beauty of Autumn and Spring
59. pretty hairbands that do a good job of hiding embarrassing growth
60. highlighters
61. healing from illness
62. clothes swapping parties
63. good books
64. atmosphere at 10km fun walks
65. finishing a hike - rewarded by breathtaking views
66. encouraging testimonies
67. friends getting married
68. friends starting families
69. aching feet from dancing all night
70. sisters - worth looking up to
71. friends that visit you all the way in korea
72. friends who meet you halfway
73. cooking classes in different countries
74. potluck parties
75. clean clothes
76. shaving cream
77. learning about other countries from people who come from there (not just text books)
78. opportunity to share about south africa and break the stereotypes
79. being able to read korean characters
80. comedians
81. instagram being available on android
82. sorting out misunderstandings
83. hand cream and vaseline
84. Cute korean shops that make buying gifts so much easier
85. service (means freebies in korea)
86. koreans trying to speak english - the chinese don't even try :(
87. pinterest
88. i get to call south africa, home
89. hot water
90. inspiring sermons
91. theatre (especially cirque de soleil and wicked)
92. my life in korea
93. friends younger than me - they keep me younger for longer
94. long emails
95. gift giving
96. people who inspire me without even knowing it
97. great hostesses making me feel welcome in their homes
98. African movies - reminding me of my roots and providing hours of laughter
99. computers
100. Thankful for Thanksgiving - a holiday I hope to adopt with my family when I return home

Final thoughts
I could go on, and that's a good thing. This exercise really helped me to just look around my everyday life and realize how privileged I am, how Great and faithful God is, and how far He has taken me. And even though my time in Korea is coming to a close (less than 100 days left), I know that the best is yet to come. Thank you America for introducing me to this meaningful holiday, and thanks Alissa for the idea  - I want to challenge myself every year to do this.

1 comment:

  1. Oh twinzie! I read this and I cried. Oh how I miss you. I am so thankful for you!

    ReplyDelete